Service Employees Pension Fund of Upstate New York
Beth Barrett, Fund Manager
Terri Christian, Benefit Coordinator
Christine BeVard, Benefits Clerk
David Rowe, Auditor
The Service Employees Pension Fund (SEPF) is a Taft-Hartley Multi-Employer Defined Benefit Plan. SEPF is governed by a Board of Trustees with equal representation from contributing employers and participating unions. SEIU Local 200United and 1199Upstate are the participating unions in the Fund, with nearly 50 contributing employers.
Our defined benefit plan provides vested participants with a monthly life-time benefit; our vesting schedule is 5 years. Check the Benefit Table provided within the Summary Plan Description to determine your benefit; call our office if you have any questions regarding what your monthly life-time benefit will be upon retirement.
Are you still working? Please be sure to:
- Notify the Fund office of any change of address
- Be sure your beneficiary card is up to date
- Review your annual statements for accuracy
- Be sure your “hours worked” matches the hours your employer reports to us
- Retain your annual statements
Are you planning to retire? We recommend the following:
Call our office at least six months before you plan to retire.
Gather the documents you will need to apply for your pension:
- Proof of Age (birth certificate, baptismal certificate, naturalization record, church record or Medicare Identification card, hospital birth record).
- Copy of your Social Security Card.
- If married, proof of spouse’s age and copy of marriage license.
- If divorced or widowed, evidence of divorce or widow status, and copy of QDRO (qualified domestic relations order, if any).
Contact the Social Security Administration: 800-772-1213 or www.ssa.gov.
Contact the Social Security Administration three months before age 62 if you have retired or are planning to retire at age 62.
Regardless of when you retire, contact the Social Security Administration three months prior to age 65 for Medicare benefits.
1. How do we receive an SEPF pension?
To get an SEPF pension, the pension fund has to be bargained into your union contract. If you are interested in a SEPF pension, please let your union representative know at the beginning of contract negotiations.
2. If we bargain SEPF in our contract, how do you calculate past years worked?
SEPF is designed to give participants 75% of credit of past service from date of hire through the date your employer joins the Fund at no cost to the employer. There is a maximum past service credit of 10 years and this is credited only after a vested participant earns 5 years of future credit.
We wish to make your transition from work to retirement a pleasant experience. Please call us if you have any questions about your pension.
|Office Hours and Locations:Syracuse Office
Location and Hours:
731 James Street, Suite 300
Syracuse, New York 13203Monday-Friday 8:30 am – 5 pm(315) 424-1754
Fax: (315) 479-9030
Location and Hours:
1659 Central Ave.
Albany, New York 12205
Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 5 pm
Fax: (518) 608-4518