The Stewards Book outlines stewards’ various duties and responsibilities in the workplace. Chapters range from “Dealing with Management” to “The Steward as Political Activist.” The book also provides a handy checklist of things stewards need to know, have, and do. For a PDF copy click the Stewards Manual. For a hard copy, contact SEIU’s Fullfillment Center at (202) 842-9872, or e-mail email@example.com.
The Stewards Book
- Your Role as a Steward: The Basics | Get the basics about what you need as a steward, what your protections and duties are, and how to welcome new workers to the job.
- Talking to Your Co-Workers | The how-to of explaining SEIU and how we work as a union, explaining our dues system, and what a difference the union makes.
- Problem Solving 101 | What do you do when confronted with a problem. This section teaches how to identify problems, what you have a right-to-know as steward, how to analyze the problem, and working with management to resolve issues quickly.
- Your Role as a Steward: In-Depth | So, you’ve got a dispute in your workplace that’s not going away easily. Stewards wear many hats, and have lots of tools at their disposal to resolve issues short of filing formal grievances.
- Disputes and Grievances: Rights, Procedures and Best Practices | For the occasions when meetings between management and a member can lead to discipline or a grievance, read the step-by-step of the members’ (and your) rights, and how to formally craft grievances to reach the right resolution for workers.
- Glossary and Bibliography | Read about SEIU’s terminology and supporting information to find out more.