For 100 years, SEIU has been helping workers stand up for their rights, fighting for dignity, respect and better conditions in workplaces and communities. With a membership two million strong, SEIU is the fastest-growing union in the United States and our diverse leaders and staff support workers as they speak out for good jobs and better lives for themselves and their families.
We are seeking an Organizer or Organizer In Training to work on aggressive campaigns in higher education. As an Organizer or OIT, your role is to work with a team of staff and members to support workers who are fighting to win power by building a union in their workplace.
This is a twelve month position.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to workers.
- Attending organizer trainings, practice and sharpen organizing conversation.
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers, educating them about building union power.
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead their campaign.
- Motivate and inspire workers to build their union in the face of heavy –and often illegal– employer opposition.
- Using house visits and phone calls to identify and recruit workers to the union.
- Working long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends.
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers.
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns.
- Conducting research needed to build a comprehensive campaign.
- Write notes and track data utilizing google docs and SEIU database.
- Capacity to work independently and with a team.
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan.
- Excellent verbal communications skills.
- Excellent active listening skills.
- Ability to connect with people quickly.
- Basic writing and computer skills.
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to conduct house and site visits.
Previous experience in Union or community organizing is preferred but not required. A commitment to SEIU’s mission is required.
In SEIU we know that women, people of color, LGBTQ and working class folks are disproportionately hurt by those with disproportionate power - we want to be a part of changing that. We therefore strongly encourage those coming from marginalized communities to apply for this position.
Position is in Central New York State (office location is in Syracuse) and may require travel.
Salary of $52,464 plus full benefits package including 100% employer-paid family health, dental and vision insurance. This is a twelve month position.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter and resume to August Schneeberg: email@example.com